A cake smash photo session is a fun, joyful way to commemorate the milestone of your little one’s first birthday. Capture your baby’s surprise, curiosity and delight as they tear into their first taste of sugar. A cake smash is a great way to express your baby’s unique personality in a relaxed and carefree way. Cake smash photos make wonderful décor for your home, and they’re also cherished gifts for family members. Your baby is growing fast; let us capture this moment for you to remember.
What to Expect
Our cake smash sessions last 30 minutes. They begin with our photographer capturing your child’s expressions while they are calm and clean. Once we bring in the cake, the photo session usually takes from 15 minutes; we let your baby set the pace, as some little ones are eager to dig into the cake and others are more hesitant and need some encouragement. If your baby is shy about digging into the frosting, you might have to get in there and show him how it’s done. Be ready for a mess and for a quick cleanup session afterward.
Choosing a Cake
• Select a small cake or large cupcake – generally six inches or smaller.Second only to your adorable little one, the cake or cupcake is the most important part of the photo session. We ask the parents to provide the cake or cupcake, because that way you’ll be sure to get just the look you want, and you’ll also be able to take into consideration any special dietary needs your child might have. Here are a few more things to think about when choosing a cake:
• Choose light colors for both the cake and the frosting. Pastels look great on camera.
• Sprinkles, Sprinkels, Sprinkes! Decorations always look great. We have asupply of number 1 candles in the studio.
• Avoid chocolate or red velvet, as they can appear less than plesant when smeared on a baby’s face.
What to Wear
The outfit your baby wears will be an important part of the photo session. We recommend that you choose the cake first, as it, along with your baby, will be the star of the show. Then choose clothing that complements the color of the cake. Some additional things to consider:
• White onsies and tutus always photograph well. We recommend simple with lots of skin showing to get messy.
• Accessories such as bows, ribbons or fun ties and necklaces can add interest to your photos. We have a selection of party hats.
• If you choose to leave your baby mostly undressed for the session, remember that a cute diaper cover will be more attractive than a disposable diaper alone.
• Of course, make sure that any outfit you choose will be easy to wash after the festivities are over.
Naturally, your little one is going to make quite a mess during the photo shoot – and that’s a big part of the fun! We offer packages that include a bubble bath to capture the clean up with our camera. We always have clean towels on hand for clean up. Please bring a change of clothes to make sure the baby is happy and comfortable after the festivities.
* Thank you to Hazy Skies Designs for a wonderful set of marketing templates. Photographers love your work!